Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Using 802.11 Radiotap

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:06:01 -0700 (PDT)
Johnny Choque said:
> I'm using ethereal-0.10.3 with libpcap 0.8.3 and Redhat 9.0. I'm trying
> to see
> IEEE 802.11 Radiotap header of the 802.11 packet captured but I don't
> see nothing.
> I'm using Linksys WPC11 v2.5 wireless card. I had captured 802.11
> management frames
> setting the wireless card to monitor mode but I can't see IEEE 802.11
> Radiotap header.
> Does anyone tell me how can I see IEEE 802.11 Radiotap header?

Install FreeBSD 5.2 or later, or NetBSD-current, on your machine (if it's
a Prism II or Atheros card, at least).

The Radiotap header is a BSDism.  The closest Linux equivalent is the AVS
header, which contains the same sort of radio data; I think the latest
version of the linux-wlan-ng drivers support it, but I don't know whether
RH 9.0 includes them or not (this is one of the things that makes me happy
that the main free UN*X I use on my laptop at home has all its wireless
drivers as part of the OS, rather than having, as Linux appears to have, N
different independent projects for the M different types of wireless
cards, with only a subset of drivers being in the official kernel source
tree).