Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal 0.10.3 bugs

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 20:32:10 +0200
Stuart MacDonald wrote:

Bug:
The first time after starting Ethereal you right-click a packet, the
Follow TCP Stream item is automatically selected, if possible. It's
like a right-click followed by a phantom left-click.

That don't sound like a bug, but some sort of feature ;-) Is this really a problem?

Yes, it very much is a problem. I'll try to be clearer:

Bug                                  Non-bug
- start up ethereal, get a capture   - start up ethereal, get capture
- select a packet                    - select a packet
- right click                        - right click
! Follow TCP Stream is "clicked"     - use mouse to select item
! TCP stream is filtered             - enjoy your selection

In the bug version, the single right click that normally brings up the
context menu instead brings it up and selects the first menu item.
With a very large capture, filtering the stream can take ages, or
cause ethereal to pseudo-crash. If you were trying to get to the
colourisation instead, this is very bad.
Hmmm, now I know, what your problem is, and I would agree that this is a bug.

However, I cannot reproduce it.

I've started Ethereal, captured some packets and tried with a right click inside the "packet list" but it worked as expected (it only showed up the context menu and didn't start anything else).

After that, I tried the same with a right click inside the "packet details", and again it all worked well.

We might need a different way to handle this.
It *might* depend on the packets you capture, so does this happen when you load a capture file for the first time as well?

In this case you could send me the capture file (please no megabytes :-) so I can try to reproduce it on my machine.

Regards, ULFL