Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal 0.10.3 bugs

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:02:35 +0200
Stuart MacDonald wrote:

Ethereal: 0.10.3
Interface: GTK2
OS: Windows XP

Bug:
The first time after starting Ethereal you right-click a packet, the
Follow TCP Stream item is automatically selected, if possible. It's
like a right-click followed by a phantom left-click.
That don't sound like a bug, but some sort of feature ;-) Is this really a problem?

Bug:
When starting a capture, the dialog box comes up, but the focus is
*not* on the OK button, meaning I can no longer use <ctrl-k><enter> to
start a capture. I am forced to use lots of tabs or the mouse.
I can have a look at this. I do agree, that the Ok button should be the default selected widget, as this will be a reasonable behaviour and won't loose any userdata if used by mistake.

Bug:
When a capture is running, if you <alt-tab> from the Stats dialog to
another app and back, stopping the capture makes the other app come to
the front of the window-stack, instead of having the Ethereal main
window come to the front.
I've saw this behaviour with other dialog boxes as well. This problem does not occur with GTK1, so this might be a bug in the GTK2 libs or the way we use them. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea what to do against this :-(

Annoyance:
When starting a new capture the Save warning pops up if the buffer is
unsaved. This should be configurable, so that the old behaviour of no
warning is available. I'm working on a network product, and use
Ethereal to check the network traffic. A debugging session might be:
run a test, check trace, didn't get result. Twiddle code, run test,
check trace, didn't get result. Twiddle code, run test, didn't get
result. I don't care about the useless traces, and always having to
say No, Don't Save is a PITA.
Other's reported that they are annoyed by that, too.
I will think about how to change this.

Sorry, but don't expect any changes soon, I'm currently very busy!

Regards, ULFL