Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Idea for ethereal

From: "Fulvio Risso" <fulvio.risso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:01:32 +0200

Because:
- code is not well tested (but this is the chicken and egg problem; if you
do not use the code, you cannot test it)
- security is very poor (in case you want to use username/password for
authentication on the remote machine, this travels in clear)

However:
- ftp, telnet, pop3 have a security mechanism that is not stronger than
rpcap
- you're not forced to use username/pwd authentication (you can configure
the daemon to accept connections only from a given set of hosts)
- the code is freely available, so anyone that needs a stronger security
mechanism can implement that
- currently, most of the tools that can use remote capture (among the other
snort and ntop) do not support username/password, so the only way to protect
yourself is to configure the rpcap daemon to refuse connections coming from
unknown hosts.

Cheers,

	fulvio