Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] bug in 0.10.3 - capture window disappears

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 07:40:46 +0200
Stuart MacDonald wrote:

This is on Windows XP and is easily reproducible:

- start Ethereal 0.10.3
- <ctrl-k> to get the Capture Options dialog
- click the minimise button *on the main window*, not the dialog box.
 Note that the Ethereal main window minimises but the Capture Options
 dialog does not.
- Click the Ok button. Presumably capture starts, but there is no
 Capture Stats dialog, which also means there's no Stop Capture
 button.

This is the bug. Nothing I can do will bring up the Capture Stats
dialog, and thus Ethereal is in an infinite loop. <alt-tab> still only
shows one Ethereal icon, the main window. Selecting it gives it the
focus, but it stays minimised. Right-clicking on it in the task bar
and selecting either Restore or Maximise will cause the main window to
display, but all the buttons/menus are inactive, and there is still no
Capture Stats dialog.

Only using the time-honoured <ctrl-alt-del> -> End Process method can
I get Ethereal to quit.

Please copy my email address on any replies you want me to see, I do
not read this list on a regular basis.

I am willing to do further experimentation or testing of development
releases.

..Stu

Hmm, I can reproduce this bug with my XP machine and with GTK2.

With GTK1, it' all working well.

So it seems to be a bug in the GTK2 libraries or the way we use them :-(

Unfortunately, I don't have a good idea what can be done against this.

Regards, ULFL