Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Purpose of conversations ?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff_morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:13:46 -0400

Michael Lum wrote:
OK maybe I have misunderstood the purpose of conversations.

I would like to string together packets containing SCCP Class 2 (connection
oriented)
messages.

From the display I would like to highlight a packet and then find
all of the associated packets automatically.

Is this what conversations are for?

My understanding is that conversations are used to store some data associated with a "conversation" so that subsequent messages in that conversation have that data associated with them.

For example, in SCCP Class 2 only the first couple of messages have Called and Calling party addresses. Subsequent DATA messages only have SLR/DLR so using a display filter of "sccp.called.ssn == N" won't match them (the DATA messages). If, however, those DATA mesages were part of a conversation _and_ the data stored for that conversation contained the Called party SSN then the above filter would work.