Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Kerberos bild error

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 09:03:08 +0100
On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 04:07:36PM +0000, Pia Sahlberg wrote:
> When trying  --with-krb5 i get an awful lot of errors when building the
> shared library.
> Essentially  it tries to pull in all of the kerberos libraries multiple
> times into the shared library, which
> \obviously wont work.
>
> See attached log file

OK, I think I found out why I don't have this problem of double libs any
more: I'm using Oliviers first patch to merge ./configure.in and
epan/configure.in.
Olivier: could you commit just htis first small patch (I can do this too)
or are there problems with this on other platforms?

> Questions
> 1, are there any configure options to completely disable building these
> shared libraries and fall back
> to the old style build?  so i can at least build it with kerberos support?

No, but it's possible. I just can't make any promises that I will do it
before I leave for DomRep on Thursday morning :)

> 2, is it absolutely necessary to pull the kerberos stuff in into the
> ethereal shared library?
> Why cant it just link ethereal itself and tethereal itsefl with the
> kerberos libraries and leave
> keberous outside of libethereal.

Depending on the platform, this is what libtool does. On some though,
it is necessary to link the stuff into the library.

  Ciao
        Joerg