Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] alternative source of input

From: Nicolae Mihalache <nicolae.mihalache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:04:45 +0100
Hello,

I have to capture and display data running over a custom protocol (ERP). This protocol can be used on top of TCP/IP or it can be used directly on a RS422 serial line. I already have a dissector for the TCP/IP case and I want to reuse it for the RS422 case. I would like to know how difficult is to make ethereal accept and process data comming from an alternative source(it is not very relevant that is serial line). I don't know yet how do I sniff data from the serial line, probably I will use ptrace to sniff it from the process that receives/sends it. I didn't look much into ethereal details and I don't know if it can accept other sources of input than pcap.

Thanks,
nicolae