Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] TCP/IP Retransmission

From: "Scott Emberley" <scotte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:42:31 -0600
Be careful with sales people - though we all love our own they can make
misleading statements in order to please a customer (or potential
customer).  I have looked at the retransmissions from ethereal and found
that ethereal does not always handle the closing of a TCP connection
properly.  I included a small capture that I made using Observer where I
simply opened up a web page and it shows an 'errant' retransmission flag
when viewed with ethereal.  The problem stems from ethereal not looking
deeply enough into the flags section of TCP, the retransmission is
actually the server resetting the connection (part of formally closing
the TCP connection).  Many TCP services do not close a connection
properly so the reset connection is not always generated - if the TCP
testing on ethereal was done using such a service this could cause it to
be missed in the analyzer.

Scott Emberley
Senior Software Engineer
Network Instruments