Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Do libdfilter and libftypes need to be built as shared libs?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:29:47 +0100
On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 10:27:58PM +0100, Olivier Biot wrote:
> As far as I know, you don't need shared libraries to be able to link
> them into a shared library. As I don't see the need for a shared
> libdfilter.la or libftypes.la, and because compiling shared objects
> takes about twice as much time as when building static objects, I'd
> suggest to return to the static libdfilter.a and libftypes.a.

This is a nono: I tried to do that earlier an it breaks on some
platforms. The central point is, that the way the libdfilter and
libftypes are built, they are built to be linked into a shared
lib but not to be used as standalone libs. The important part
is, that they are built with position independent code. This
won't happen when you build them as static libs. One some
platforms, linking static libs into shared libs doesn't work.

 Ciao
  Jï¿œrg