Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Can't make on Windows with Visual C++ on latest CVS

From: Ian Schorr <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:49:15 -0500
I've gotten these errors since a CVS update a couple of weeks ago.

I'd gotten these in the past and it seemed to relate to the size of the "python" command-line that's executed. I'd been able to avoid the problem by removing the amount of whitespace in the DISSECTOR_SRC in epan\Makefile.common (well, \Makefile.common at the time). This no longer avoids the problem.

Using sh should work fine though (albeit slowly). Just comment out the Python line in config.nmake.

Are some people getting this to work in Windows using Python?

Ian

Greg Morris wrote:

I completely deleted my distro and then downloaded the current CVS
again. When running nmake -f makefile.nmake then the makefile in the
epan directory returns the following error.
Making register.c (using python)
C:/python22/python.exe: can't open file '..'
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:/python22/python.exe' : return code
'0x2'
Stop.

It appears that the running of the make-reg-dotc.py is failing in the
epan makefile.nmake.

register.c: $(DISSECTOR_SRC)
!IFDEF PYTHON
	@echo Making register.c (using python)
	@$(PYTHON) ../make-reg-dotc.py . $(DISSECTOR_SRC)
!ELSE
	@echo Making register.c (using sh)
	@$(SH) ../make-reg-dotc register.c . $(DISSECTOR_SRC)
!ENDIF

Is this due to some of the changes for the shared lib support?

Greg