Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] First attempt at getting rid of epan/configure

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:39:09 +0100
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:50:16AM +0100, Olivier Biot wrote:
> Attached you'll find a first attempt at getting rid of the configure
> step in epan.
>
> This patch does *not* remove the now obsolete configure.in and
> acinclude.m4 (and config.*) files in epan.

OK, tested on Suse LInux 9.0 and Solaris 8. It works. FYI: Below is
the log message why epan/configure.in was split from the top level
configure.in. I don't have a system where I can test this situation.

----------------------------
revision 1.1
date: 2000/10/16 23:17:39;  author: guy;  state: Exp;
Give libethereal its own configuration file, and have that configuration
file, rather than the top-level Ethereal configuration file, check for
"inet_aton()", "inet_pton()", and "inet_ntop()".  Then make its
Makefile.am include the appropriate object files if necessary.
Otherwise, they don't get built and put into libethereal, and therefore
attempts to link with anything in libethereal that uses them fail on
platforms that lack ethem, causing the build to fail.

That means a bunch of things need to be fixed to cope with libethereal
having its own "config.h" file; this means removing the include of
"config.h" from some libethereal header files.  Move the definitions of
the path names used only by "resolv.c" to "resolv.c" from "resolv.h" (so
"resolv.h" doesn't need "config.h", define HAVE_PLUGINS in the configure
script (so we don't have to include it in "plugins.h" to check whether
HAVE_DLFCN_H is defined).

Unfortunately, stuff outside libethereal needs to know PLUGIN_DIR; for
now, define that in the top-level configuration file, and have Ethereal
and Tethereal pass it as an argument to "epan_init()" - that should be
cleaned up at some point.

Remove from the top-level configure script checks for things used only
in libethereal.

In case this is fixed now (and I think that the new build process for
shared libs fixes it indeed), should other stuff from this change be
undone too?

  Ciao
              Jï¿œrg