Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal 0.10.2 - Linker error

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:26:51 -0800
On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 09:13:40PM +1100, Andrew Hood wrote:
> I guess you have ucd-snmp installed.

...or he has an older version installed; Ethereal requires 4.2.4 or
later...

...or perhaps this is yet another one of those situations where, if
you're linking with UCD SNMP you need to link with some additional
helper libraries such as -lcrypto.

We automatically handle most of the helper libraries; e.g., it requires
-lkstat on Solaris, and the configure script automatically checks
whether that's required and adds it if needed, and it apparently
requires -ldes425 from /usr/kerberos/lib on some newer versions of Red
Hat Linux - post-7.2, so that's probably not his problem - and the
configure script automatically checks whether *that's* required and adds
it if needed.  We should almost certainly do the same with -lcrypto.

> I thought Ethereal would not use ucd-snmp.

It'll use it if it's sufficiently recent.