Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Capture dialog ringbuffer behaviour

From: Laurent Deniel <laurent.deniel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 13:36:26 +0100
Ulf Lamping wrote:
What doc do you think of? The only doc I know of this is the user's guide.

And the manual page ?

If I understand you correct, you want to have only one ring buffer file, with unlimited number of switches to the next (the same file again, but emptied out). What is the use of *one* ring buffer file? It will be overwritten at the next file switch so your complete history get's lost at some point in time.

Right, and this is exactly what I want in some cases (i.e. *one* file which
is limited in size). But not so important than the "unlimited" case.

This means that [t]ethereal is *never* stopped (well unless crashes or
memory leaks ... ;-(

That can easily be achieved by *not* setting the file(s) stop condition.

OK.

The '0' in the GUI was only temporary since I wanted to have the core
features in place very quickly and without spending then too much time
in the GUI part ...

I'm a bit angry about that. Being translated this would mean:
"If anyone else cannot use or understand my GUI , that his own problem. Should someone else may do the work of fixing the GUI."

No, this means that when I have the time (or when someone else cares) to
enhance it (and you care ;-). But remember that changing / beautifying things is
OK as long as you don't remove features used by end users for years.

This is a pattern: Implementing some new feature, and putting it "somehow" into the GUI, so all features can be accessed in a way. That's exactly (one of?) the reason why ethereal has a bad reputation when it comes to usability.

One other is the lack of decent help / doc (or mismatch of real
implementation and doc ;-) ... and stability of GTK or Ethereal GUI code.

Laurent