Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Capture dialog ringbuffer behaviour

From: Laurent Deniel <laurent.deniel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 02:11:33 +0100

Ok, I saw too late that the GUI has been modified.

Ulf, please tell me how the uses described below (one ring buffer file and
unlimited # of files) can be obtained with the current interface.

And please don't forget to update the doc if you want to keep the GUI that way !

Laurent

Laurent Deniel wrote:

(Late followup but back from holiday ...)

That's right.

I use the "one file" (i.e. only the packets of the last day or hour for instance)
and "0" (i.e. unlimited) features of the ring buffer in many situations and
in real world cases (e.g. to be able to save one compressed file of captured
data per hours or days according to the LAN traffic or capture filters).
This means that [t]ethereal is *never* stopped (well unless crashes or
memory leaks ... ;-(

The '0' in the GUI was only temporary since I wanted to have the core
features in place very quickly and without spending then too much time
in the GUI part ...

Refer also to:
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200306/msg00184.html

Up to everyone to change the GUI in whole or in part, but be careful,
the current window (mix of stop conditions or different ring buffer
modes) allow a lot of combinations that might not be possible (or worst
labelled) in the different GUI proposed in the next mails of this thread ..
(still reading them).