Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] SQL help

From: "Evan J. Burrows" <eburrows@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:38:00 -0500 (EST)
Be patient with me this is my first post,

I m currently a senior in college and i am working on my senior design
project. Part of my project includes pushing network info to a SQL 2000
Server database. I need this information so i can do real-time analysis
on the database (hopefully). I looked into various other programs but
ethereal provided the best performance for the price since it is free.

I have installed and compiled the ethereal source on Redhat 9 and have
been looking at the source files the last 2 weeks trying to get a feel
of how ethereal works. Unfortunately i am not a very experienced
programmer and i am quite overwhelmed with the Ethereal source code. I
know pushing the network information to database was on the wishlist
and since i need it for my project i figured i would post here and see
if anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction.

I want to push the following information to my database:
source and destination ip and mac address, protocol, port number,
packet size, Frame number, arrival time, etc.

I have looked through the code and the Readme files but i am still kind
of confused with which source files contain this information. I have
looked through the epan folder and think i found some of the stuff i
need but i am not really sure. All the information that i want is
printed to the ethereal gui but i just don't know where to find the
actual source so i can throw in some SQL calls. i looked at
print_packets and thought that possibly might have something to do with
it. I appologize if this topic has been covered already, but like i
said i just subscribed today. If anyone has any information that might
help me please post back; whether it be to try and help me out or point
me in the right direction.

thanks,
Evan