Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Display filter working

From: Soft Boy <etherealfilter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:37:04 -0800 (PST)
Hi All,

I have a requirement to filter packets stored in plain buffers. What I need is a good filter syntax and its parser (which ethereal display filters have) and a way to match filters to packets stored in byte stream array.

Can I use ethereal display filters directly to do this using any command apart from the GUI ? OR if this is not possible.. Can I use any of the display filter APIs in ethereal code and write my own main function to remove capture filter capability and other unncessary stuff OR Can I extract the display filter parsing and matching code with little efforts and write my own application ??

Is the display filtering done using BPF program like pcap_compile prepares for capture filters ?? OR does it have any other mechanism to do this ?? Where can I find more information about it ? Is there any thread/document which describes this mechanism ??

thanks and warm regards,
Soft Boy

Do you Yahoo!?