Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Sniffer .cap packet times are still incorrect.

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:41:00 +0100
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 06:48:34PM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Could you please *not* send mails of that size to the mailing list!?!?
>
> It takes a long time to download this mail through a telephone line :-(

While we are discussing posting habits:
I'd be really happy if people could quote "correctly". A page that has some
instructions is http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
Why do I mind? Well, *I* don't care how long it take to download, but
I *do* care how long it takes to *read*.
Two things: Don't quote anything below the last text you have written.
The worst case was a posting of the form:

3 lines text

 sig

~1 MByte quote

There is no need to just include the whole old mail, neither header nor
footer are of any relevance in any case.

The second case are people who first quote the whole old mail and then post
their comments. That way I sometimes have to scroll down several pages to
find out whether there is anything of interest in the post - in most cases,
seeing a first page that consists of only quoted text makes me just hit 'd'.

We also do have mailing list archives, so the people who need the whole
posting to put a mail into context can access them there. For the rest:
minimal interleaved quoting is the way to go.
Oh, and one last thing: If you think that trimming down a quote is a waste
of time: Please don't quote at all, because you are being selfish be multiplying
the time *you* saved by the number of *others* that have to read your extra
quoting.

 ciao
  Jï¿œrg