Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Current issues with MSVC build process and libethereal

From: Lars Roland <Lars.Roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 00:15:26 +0100
Hello all,

Compiling source files which are not in the working directory creates more problems than expected:

Nmake cannot evaluate dependency rules correctly, because sources and object code files are in different directories. The preprocessor will look in the working directory for included header files at first. So all dissector sources include wrongly config.h from epan.

There are probably more undiscovered errors.

I suggest to revert the recent changes for the nmake makefiles.
We should still be able to work on the shared libethereal for *nix platforms, Creating a dll on Win32 is even more problematic and should be done after moving the dissectors in a seperate folder.

I already tried to build a libethereal.dll.
Two major issues arose:
How do we export functions to libethereal.dll? (There are at least two functions we have to export: report_open_failure() and report_read_failure() ) What do we do with "timestamp_type"? Do we export this global variable to libethereal.dll or do we move it into libethereal.dll and make it accessible via functions?

Best regards,

Lars