Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] What should I be using for BER?

From: Tomas Kukosa <tomas.kukosa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 07:05:04 +0100
Yes, the packet-ber.c is the right future :-).
But it does not support all possibilities now.
I have prepared many changes for packet-ber.c but I do not want to send them into the CVS every day. I guess I could send patch into CVS at the end of the next week. If you would like to start writing dissctor now let me know and I can send you current version.

Guy Harris wrote:

Ronnie Sahlberg said:

I personally prefer the packet-ber.c interface since i think it is much
easier to use
than the asn1.c interface.

packet-ber.c makes it imo much easier to extract the data and also make
sure everything is assigned a proper display filter
name.

...and, in the long term, I'd like to get everything that currently uses
asn1.c to use packet-ber.c and then get rid of asn1.c, so I'd prefer that
people use packet-ber.c for new dissectors.