Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Capture dialog: Next file every X megabyte cannot be unchecke

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 01:07:22 +0100
Olivier Biot wrote:

From: Ulf Lamping

| Olivier Biot wrote:
|
| >Hi list,
| >
| >I've been playing with the new capture dialog, and I realized you
| >cannot *uncheck* the "Next file every [size] [units]" option.
|
| It was required to have this option checked already before my
changes.

I didn't realize this.

| However: it *is* required to have some sort of "Next file every"
setting
| checked, otherwise the "Use multiple files" setting would make no
sense,
| when only one file is generated.
|
| Another solution would be to do no default setting for any of the
"Next
| file every" settings, and do some more advanced testing when the
"OK"
| button was pressed.

Unless we use some multi-radio-button (I don't remember the correct
name for it) where at least one of the buttons must be checked. The
simplest "logic" would then be a tooltip telling the end-user that
when using multiple files, at least one "next file" condition must be
present.
Well, this isn't a radio button thing, as both of the options could be choosen. But I might get you wrong on this point.

| Although I'm not convinced that this solution would be much more
| intuitive :-(
|
| >Additionally I have seen that it is possible today to specify to
use 2
| >files in the ring buffer and to stop capturing after 3 files. I
think
| >this may be an interesting feature, although it requires the user
| >think about it :).
| >

| I see your concerns, but I don't see a simply way to solve this.
This is
| the most intuitive way I found for this topic.

I personally like it, it's not really a concern, but more a question:
is the code implemented in such a way that in the given example
capturing stops when switching for the 4th time to another capture
file?

Exactly! The two settings are only loosely tied together, as you can set various variations of this two settings.

Of course we need some tooltips on this, but I didn't wanted to start on this, as the main functionality was on the move,
and I didn't wanted to change tooltips all the time.

Regards, ULFL