Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Lastest cvs wont compile on Gentoo either.

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:38:56 -0800
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 05:51:15PM -0800, jaime.fournier@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> autoconf 2.58
> automake 1.4-p6
>
> I would imagine these are pretty new versions of these apps.

Autoconf is, automake isn't.

How many reasonably recent versions of various Linux distributions come
with automake 1.4?

Are there any BSDs other than Darwin/Mac OS X that come with autotools?
If there are, how many of them come with automake 1.4 in reasonably
recent versions?  (Mac OS X 10.3 comes with 1.6.3.)

Do any commercial UN*Xes (other than Mac OS X and, depending on how you
define "commercial", various commercial Linux distributions, as they're
mentioned in the previous paragraphs) come with autotools? If so, how
many of them come with automake 1.4 in reasonably recent versions?

And, if 1.5 can't handle the new Makefile.am's, what's the answer if you
replace "1.4" with "1.5" above?

If a significant number of reasonably recent versions of those OSes come
with 1.4 - or other versions with which the current scheme doesn't work
- do we want to possibly force a significant number of
developers-from-CVS to replace the tools that come with their OS?