Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] GUI: Thoughts on status pane

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:19:49 +0100
Lars Ruoff wrote:

There are two status panes on the lower right of the Ethereal main window:
One shows infos on the currently highlighted line of the protocol tree,
the other shows number of total, displayed and marked packets (i presume).
I have a lot of cases where i can't read the protocol description because it
is truncated by the pane, and that's a pity, because it also contains the
tree item identifier (used in display filters) as last info on the line.
On the other hand, i dont have much use for the listed packet numbers,
personally.
I understand this problem.

Could we either...
- make the status panes resizable, i.e. have the seperator between the two
movable to the left or right?
(i dont know how complicated this would be?)

- or split the two panes vertically instead of horizontally?
(actually, there is wasted space right now, since the info takes only one
line but there is space for two.
But i dont know if this depends on the choosen fonts/the display subsytem
(i'm on Win2000+Gtk2))
And can there be info that takes up two lines??

- or have only one pane and print the tree item info after clicking on a
tree item, and print the packet number info after clicking on a packet?

I would tend to use a different approach.

The filter toolbar should be a real toolbar, and shouldn't reside in the bottom of the screen, but where the other toolbar already is, just below the menu.

It's currently just very odd GUI design, I don't know a lot other programs doing it that way.

The bottom line should *only* contain status information (and alike).

This would resolve your problem, and makes Ethereal handling a lot better IMHO, as you don't have to go long ways with your mouse to the menu, down to the filter field, up to the packet list, down to the filter field, ...

As the statusbar will be a lot smaller than today, this approach won't even make the remaining screen size a lot smaller.

Regards, ULFL