Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Regarding Colored Display

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:20:59 -0700
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 05:17:23PM +0530, Naveen Kumar Kaushik wrote:
> One can select a filter and specify the foreground and background colors so
> that a packet matching the criteria will be displayed with the foreground
> background color selected.
> As i found out these color configurations are saved in
> <APP-DATA>\Ethereal\colorfilters dir in window and probably in some other
> locations on other OS.
> My queries are
> 1. Are there any template colorfilters file .Although  protocol number
> supported on ethereal is large ,but still if some one has tried in past.

I think some people have sent their templates to the Ethereal lists in
the past.

> 2 Can I change the default location of this file eg. can we manage to put
> this file in the same dir as the ethereal executable (May require some code
> change).

You could, if you wished, change your personal version of Ethereal to
put your personal color filter file elsewhere.

However, putting it in the same directory as the Ethereal executable

	1) would be inappropriate on UNIX systems - it's most likely to
	   be in "/usr/bin" or "/usr/local/bin", and that's the wrong
	   place to put configuration files;

	2) would be inappropriate for a personal color filter file on
	   *ANY* system - a personal color filter file, like any other
	   personal configuration file, belongs in a personal directory,
	   and that's exactly where Ethereal puts it now
	   (<APP-DATA>\Ethereal\colorfilters on Windows,
	   ~/.ethereal/colorfilters on UNIX).

However, as of Ethereal 0.9.13, Ethereal supports both a global color
filter file and a personal color filter file; the global color filter
file is in the directory where global configuration files belong, i.e.
on Windows, it's in in the directory in which Ethereal is installed,
and, on UNIX, it's in the directory in which Ethereal was configured to
put global configuration files, which is typically "/usr/share/ethereal"
or "/usr/local/share/ethereal", depending on where Ethereal is
installed.