Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] splitting protocol bits out of t/ethereal man pages?

From: Jeff Morriss <morriss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:43:56 -0400

Hi list,

Has anyone ever thought about splitting all the protocol-specific things out of the ethereal & tethereal man pages? I mean everything from "The following is a table of protocol and protocol fields..." to the FILES section.

The reason I ask is I sometimes want to look at the command line options for ethereal or tethereal, but doing formatting these huge man pages takes a good while (at least on 440 MHz UltraSPARC-II's):

mcmurphy [~/]> time man tethereal|cat >/dev/null
Reformatting page.  Please Wait... done

real    0m6.784s
user    0m6.500s
sys     0m0.160s
mcmurphy [~/]> time man ethereal|cat >/dev/null
Reformatting page.  Please Wait... done

real    0m6.942s
user    0m6.660s
sys     0m0.140s

Maybe a separate man page named "ethereal-protocols" or...?

Regards,
-Jeff