Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 'ethereal' build target fails?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:24:00 -0700

On Sep 23, 2003, at 4:02 PM, Todd Sabin wrote:

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but you may want to recheck the -k
documentation and/or play with it some.  Your description above is
exactly what make -k avoids.  For example, in the "make ethereal"
scenario we're talking about, make -k notices that packet-x11.o failed
to build, but it keeps going trying to build the other components of
ethereal that don't depend on that.

That was precisely what I did *NOT* want to have happen. I wanted to see the output of the very first command that failed, without *any* other output after it, even output reporting that other stuff not depending on the output of the failed build was built. I did *NOT* want make to go on trying to do *anything* after something failed, so I did *not* want it run with the "-k" option - i.e., "-k" avoids what I *did* want.

Fixing this would probably require some time spent reading the
Automake documentation to see if there's a "right" way to handle this
or if we just have to add dependency rules.

I try to maintain a healthy distance from automake/autoconf, so I have
no idea how they're supposed to interact with dependencies, but this
"feels" like it's "just" a matter of listing dependencies right in
whatever input ultimately results in Makefile, for what that's worth.

That's probably the case, but there might be a way to have automake do a lot of that work for you, for example. (I.e., do you just put explicit dependencies in, or do you set some automake variable and have automake generate the dependency rules for you?)