Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Has anyone seen a recent version of Etherpeek ...

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:17:18 -0700

On Sep 22, 2003, at 12:11 AM, Richard Sharpe wrote:

I noticed that Etherpeek is claiming it has support for:

  CIFS, SMB, MSRPC, MSRAP, WINS, MSN Messenger

They also have some really exciting features, not found in many other packet analyzers, that convinced Mentor Graphics to use it - the report at

	http://www.wildpackets.com/elements/casestudies/mentorgraphics.pdf

says:

In its efforts to create increasingly advanced and reliable electronic products for the market, Mentor Graphics required a sophisticated solution to speed and ease
	both development and troubleshooting processes. To assist with numerous
projects to develop new protocols and debug Nucleus NET stack and Ethernet drivers, Mentor Graphics turned to a well-known standard packet sniffer.

Mentor Graphics' engineers found that the packet sniffer they had chosen, however, lacked support for IPv6 decodes - a key protocol in their development work. In searching for an alternative, they came to realize that most packet sniffers do not provide this essential decoding support. EtherPeek was the only
	affordable analyzer option that could deliver the capability required.

"Most sniffer packages do not decode IPv6 packets, while EtherPeek does, so it
	has become a crucial tool in our development of IPv6."
		-Tammy Leino, Software Development Engineer

and

EtherPeek interprets the protocol layers of a captured frame and exposes the core information. By monitoring, filtering, decoding and displaying packet data, EtherPeek easily pinpoints protocol errors and detects network problems such as
	unauthorized, or misconfigured nodes and unreachable devices.

"The ability to capture packets and view the decoded protocol headers is the most useful feature of EtherPeek to our company. We are able to easily view source/destination MAC/IP addresses, the summary field shows the SEQ and ACK numbers for TCP sessions, we can filter on a specific address or protocol to capture only the packets we want, and all of the information is decoded in a reader friendly format. EtherPeek has been very helpful in finding problems with
	TCP thanks to its Summary and Absolute Time reporting!"

I wonder what "well-known standard packet sniffer" that was - whatever it is, it's setting the bar pretty low, if it can't handle IPv6 and if it doesn't display decoded protocol headers.... (They said EtherPeek was the only "affordable" analyzer option that could deliver the capability required, so perhaps NAI's Sniffer does the job but costs too much - I have the impression it's a *LOT* more expensive than, say, EtherPeek.)