Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Packet list columns are not resizeable with GTK+2.x

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:30:03 -0700

On Sep 20, 2003, at 2:01 AM, Olivier Abad wrote:

Le jeu 18/09/2003 à 21:56, Guy Harris a écrit :
Was it compensating for a bug or a misfeature in the GtkClist code in
older versions of GTK+ 2.x?  (I'm primarily asking Olivier that
question - it was in there since the GTK+ 1.2[.x] and 2.x code was
merged in, and it might have been there since the 2.x code was first
put in.)

I don't remember exactly why I did it for the GTK2 port, but it isn't
necessary anymore (see below).

That patch has a debugging printf in it - should that be checked in?

However, the right patch for the column resize problem should be to
check if the GdkWindow associated with the event is the one used to draw
the GtkCList (and not the colum titles), i.e. :

event_button->window == GTK_CLIST(w)->clist_window

My only problem is that it doesn't work on my Debian sid system (which
uses gtk+ v2.2.4), because GTK_CLIST(w)->clist_window has a bad value
(0x3ee) so the test always fails.

Are you using a binary built entirely on your sid system, or is that a binary built on a system using an earlier version of GTK+?

The clist_window structure member doesn't appear to be documented in the GTK+ API documentation, either for 1.2[.x] or 2.x; unless there's a documented macro that refers to it, that might mean the GTK+ developers consider it something applications shouldn't access, and therefore don't consider it a binary compatibility problem if they move it.