Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Debugging Plugin DLLs

From: Dave Shawley <daveshawley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:10:52 -0400
On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 07:55 PM, Chris Waters wrote:

Hi,

I am writing a plugin DLL under Windows and would like to know if anyone has
a good method for debugging plugins.

I compile my DLL and copy it to the c:\program files\ethereal\plugins\0.9.15
directory (which seems to be the only place that Ethereal looks for
plugins). I can debug the Ethereal code OK, but MSVC++ can't find the plugin sources. I have tried adding the source directory in the options dialog,
with no improvement.

Regards,
Chris Waters

The trick that I used was to set up a project workspace for the plug-in.
You've probably already done this. After you have the project set up you
can specify the ethereal EXE as the executable that hosts the DLL in the
Debug tab (Project Properties). After you copy the DLL (and PDB file) into
the plugins directory, you can debug the DLL from inside Dev Studio just
like you would debug anything else.

The other option is to put your plugin and the PDB into the plugins directory and then specify the plugin in the "Additional DLLs" list in the Debug tab for the Ethereal project. If you already have the project set up for Ethereal and can debug it, then this is probably the easiest way to debug your plugin. The trick is that both the DLL and its PDB file have to be placed into the plugins directory. This is how Dev Studio knows how to find your source code.

Enjoy!

Dave