Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 0.9.15/Win32 closes program on close of conversation window

From: "Ph. Marek" <philipp.marek@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:30:04 +0200
> Well, Ethereal never questions whether to save unsaved data, even if
> it's exiting cleanly - and it's probably just crashing in this case.
I think so.

> Is there any message from Windows about a crash?  (What version of
> Windows is this?)
no message, no dr.watson. (I'd have mentioned :-) NT4 SP5

> I have, on occasion, seen GTK+ messages printed to the terminal window
> from which I've run it on UNIX; I don't know if those are the same
> underlying problem or not.
So I'll try to start out of a DOS-Box and see if there's something ....
no. it gets detached from the terminal upon start (as NT4 cmd.exe does).
nothing printed, but it took my 3 tries (ethernet, ipv4, udp) to have it
crash.

> The main difference saving the capture makes is that the capture is in
> a permanent file rather than a temporary file (which means that your
> data probably isn't lost - it's probably in C:\temp or in whatever the
> per-user temporary file directory is in W2K and later, in a file whose
> name begins with "ether" and has a bunch of letters and numbers after
> that); I'm not sure why that'd make a difference, but perhaps it does.
Yes, I know; as this is a new version I didn't do production things with it
yet, just test-captures.

Any other help?? Anything I can try??

Regards,

Phil