Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Decoding problem for GTPv1

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:11:31 -0700
On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 09:03:29AM +0200, Wuttichai Wutti-Udomlert (DU/EDD) wrote:
> [...]

Well, yes, I can - but I'm not sure what the solution is, so I'm CCing
ethereal-dev in case somebody more familiar with GTP can suggest a
better way to solve this than to have a preference setting controlling
whether to assume the GSM or UMTS interpretation of a mobility
management context.

At least according to ETSI TS 101 347 V7.8.0, a/k/a 3GPP TS 09.60
version 7.8.0, section 7.9.19, the MM Context IE has, in octet 5, the 2
uppermost bits containing 11, the next 3 bits containing the number of
triplets in the IE, and the next 3 bits containing the cipher used.  The
IE contains a GSM key and triplets.

According to ETSI TS 129 060 V4.3.0, a/k/a 3GPP TS 29.060 version 4.3.0,
section 7.7.28, the MM Context IE has, in octet 5, 2 bits of security
mode, 3 bits containing the number of vectors, and the next 3 bits
containing the cipher used.

The security mode values are:

	1	GSM key and triplets
	3	GSM key and quintuplets
	2	UMTS key and quintuplets
	4	Used cipher value, UMTS keys and quintuplets

Unfortunately, 3 is two bits of 1, so that means that, according to
029.060, if the 2 uppermost bits of octet 5 are 11, the IE contains a
GSM key and quintuplets, not a GSM key and triplets.  That doesn't match
09.60.

I don't know whether that's:

	1) a typo (with 3 meaning "GSM key and triplets);

	2) an incompatibility (so that the software parsing that IE has
	   to know - either explicitly, or implicitly based on the type
	   of mobile phone network is being used - which standard
	   applies).