Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Please Compile the ethereal once onwindowbefore every release

From: "Andrew Feren" <aferen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:46:47 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Harris" <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 5:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Please Compile the ethereal once onwindowbefore
every release

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 07:32:51PM +1000, Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:
> > Everyone have access to the "prereleases".
> > The prereleases are available in two forms:
> >     * Nightly snapshot mode
> >     * anonymous CVS mode
>
> For real compile testing, a third form would be
>
> * A tarball built with "make dist"

This seems like a good idea.  Basically just continue doing releases as they
happen now.  ;-)

Perhaps do a 0.9.X.unblessed release and let it sit for a week.  Adventurous
(or impatient) developers can check that it compiles on their system.  If no
one complains after a week that becomes the 0.9.X tarball.  If there are
problems with the unblessed version fix them and repeat the process.

Aside from simplicity this seems like the right solution since I think the
complaints are about the tarball (rather than source from CVS) not working.
Besides since (as you point out) not all the same tools are required for a
tarball build as for a CVS build we could implement some elaborate freeze
process and still have the tarball not work.

Of course I typically grab from CVS so I don't care much either way.  What I
would like to be able to do (or know how if a way exists) is to grab a the
source for a release from CVS based on a label (or what not).