Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Patches to make Ethereal 0.9.15 compile with MVC

From: "Graham Bloice" <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:06:41 +0100
> > Which version of VC ??
>
> I am using VC6.

<SNIP>

> > SDK installed and these aren't needed.  Have you run vcvars32.bat to
> set
> > up
> > the compilation environment ?
>
> You are right: after running VCVARS32.BAT again it links without the
> library modifications. But I asked the VC installer to update my
> environment during installation, so that I don't have to run this batch
> file each time. I also asked the installer of the platform SDK to do
> that and to integrate with my VC installation. If I link with this
> installation without the modifications I get these errors:

<SNIP>

> Did you also integrate the SDK with your VC installation?

Yes, but running VCVARS32.BAT sorts things out for ethereal, as mentioned in
win32-README.txt

<SNIP>

> > I would expect the files to require U*ix line endings as they are for
> use
> > by
> > U*ix tools.

> Can we distribute these files in this format? Or does Winzip do the
> conversion for you so that they are always in DOS format?

Further checking shows that the CVS versions are in fact DOS formatted, and
my version of the cygwin tools eats them quite happily.  Is this related to
a local environment setting in Cygwin for line endings ?

> > The other changes to config.nmake seem to be personal environment
> changes
> > including the use of the cygwin version of python instead of a native
> > version which would IMHO be slower, although arguably the reference to
> the
> > old b-20 version of cygwin should be updated to something newer
> > (C:\cygwin\bin ??).
>
> What version of python would be slower? You already have to install a
> lot of Cygwin tools to get this compiled so I thought lets stick with
> Cygwin tools :-)

Sorry, poor phraseology.  I would expect the Cygwin python to be slower than
a win32 python, but I haven't tested it.

> C:\cygwin\bin is the default cygwin bin path.

For the latest cygwin, but this is a personal environment issue.  Cygwin may
be installed anywhere as may Python.  This is the reason for this section of
config.nmake, customise for your installation, as mentioned in
win32-README.txt.

> > I don't know if the change to nsis/Makefile.nmake is required as I
> don't
> > have nsis installed, but it looks sensible.
>
> Because the default COMMON_FILES_GNU contains a space (e.g. \Program
> Files\) you are passing more arguments without the quotes.

Agreed

Regards,

Graham Bloice