Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] OSI Session dissector in the works

From: "Sid Sid" <ysidelnikov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:33:55 +0000

Do you have a plan to fix it ?
I guess it will be very useful because high level dissector can't show properly session data PDUs which are always segmented on COTP level. Only short one - connection request/confirm/refuse and so on.
Pretty useless dissector, isn't ?
I have a plan to develop dissectors for next levels - including association,ACSE,FTAM etc.
I reckon it is imposible without good COTP reassembling.

No, frames 10, 12, 14, and 16 are the segments of a segmented PDU to dst-ref 0x0001. Frame 8 is a non-segmented PDU to dst-ref 0x0101 (i.e., it's going in the other direction).

The problem is that the reassembly code assumes that sequence numbers in a segmented packet start at 0; unfortunately, the sequence numbers in COTP are PDU numbers, and those are connection sequence numbers that increase sequentially, so the first segment of a segmented PDU doesn't have a sequence number that starts at 0.

That will require more work in the reassembly code to fix.