Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] interface options patch II

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:06:10 -0700

On Sep 9, 2003, at 9:07 AM, Nathan Jennings wrote:

Let me know if the latest patch takes care of this. As long as device names do not contain parens or commas, the ethereal description string syntax should be OK. However, I'd like the syntax to be as safe as possible. What's the possibility of future device names having parens or commas?

I suspect the chances of a device name, in the sense of something you supply to "pcap_open_live()", containing parens or commas is small.

As Graham Bloice noted, the chances of a device *description* containing parens is non-zero.

However, I think the chances of a device name, in the sense of something you supply to "pcap_open_live()", containing a *blank* is smaller than the chance of it containing any particular printable ASCII character, so perhaps patch III is the right answer for splitting a string into description and name.