Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] interface options patch II

From: Nathan Jennings <njen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:07:23 -0400
Graham Bloice wrote:

get_interface_list() returns a string such as "ASUSTek/Broadcom 440x 10/100
Integrated Controller (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler):
\Device\Packet_{F30D9BC7-81C8-4FF1-B98E-DDE87A2DB765}" which comprises of
two parts, the hardware description and the interface name.  It would appear
that the only reliable separator is the string ": \".

OK, thanks... seeing that helps. I just submitted a patch that should fix this.

As the new code places the ethereal description in parentheses, it seems the
code to extract it from the preferences gets confused by the parentheses in
the hardware description.

Yeah, the code should have never gotten that far. BTW, you may need to manually remove your "capture.devices_descr:" line from the preferences file before testing again. OS supplied descriptions should never be in that line.

As a result I'm offered the choice of three interfaces in the capture dialog
all named "(Microsoft's Packet Scheduler)" with the correct interface name
appended.

In addition after several attempts at opening the Interface Options dialog,
I end up with the same string automagically appearing as ethereal
description.

I would suggest a more robust set of delimiters for the ethereal description
string might help.

Thanks for your time and feedback on this. The only interfaces that should show up in the top table ("Previously saved options") are interfaces that have user-supplied descriptions.

Let me know if the latest patch takes care of this. As long as device names do not contain parens or commas, the ethereal description string syntax should be OK. However, I'd like the syntax to be as safe as possible. What's the possibility of future device names having parens or commas?

-Nathan