Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Dynamic support for other capture drivers....

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:06:45 -0700

On Sep 9, 2003, at 8:45 AM, Steve Erickson wrote:

I am working on a project which includes a driver which intercepts packets on Windows systems. We would like to provide the ability for our driver to act as the packet capture driver for Ethereal on Windows platforms. Does Ethereal for Windows support the concept of using capture drivers other than
WinPcap?

No.

However, the current CVS version of libpcap has some support for the concept of using capture mechanisms other than the one that captures on network interfaces known to the native networking stack. The only mechanism currently plugged in for that is the DAG library from Endace Measurement Systems, for capturing on their passive-capture devices, and the support for opening those devices and enumerating them is only in the Linux and BPF "capture open" routines, but there's no reason why it couldn't be extended to support other platforms and other additional capture mechanisms as well.

Current WinPcap releases aren't yet based on that version of libpcap, but they should pick that up eventually.