Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 5view capture file format support

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:48:02 -0700

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 1:48 AM, Thierry MARTIN wrote:

The attached file (5views.tar.gz) contains a patch for ethereal tree and 2 new files (5views.c 5views.h) to be placed in ./Wiretap directory in order to support Accellent 5Views captures format.

Checked in.

For any information regarding this submission, please contact me (thierry.martin[AT]accellent-group.com) or Christian Bergé (christian.berge[AT]accellent-goup.com).

I listed you as the author in the various AUTHORS files; was Christian also an author?

Some comments:

I replaced the C++-style comments with C-style comments - not all C compilers accept C++-style comments. (There's a section in "doc/README.developer" that discusses portability issues such as that.)

I got rid of the "_5views_sequential_close()" and "_5views_close()" routines, as they didn't do anything - you only need close routines if they need to do something such as free data.

I got rid of the "wth=wth" and "pseudo_header=pseudo_header" statements - if you put "_U_" after a function argument's name, it will, at least for GCC, mark the argument as unused, so the compiler won't warn that the argument is unused.

Note, however, that you don't need a private seek_read routine unless you are treating part of the packet data as a "pseudo-header". The pseudo-header stuff is used when a packet includes "meta-data" that's not part of the standard packet format, such as VPI/VCI and packet type information for ATM packets, ISDN channel number for ISDN packets, etc.. Currently, you only support Ethernet captures, so there's no pseudo-header, but there also appears to be a file type for WAN captures, so there might be support for pseudo-headers in the future, so I left the private seek_read routine there.