Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal plugin interface

From: Matthijs Melchior <mmelchior@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:42:38 +0200
Matthijs Melchior wrote:

Guy Harris wrote:
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 10:14:22PM +0200, Matthijs Melchior wrote:
Use cygwin "gcc -aux-info xyzzy ... -c plugin_api_list.c" to create
a file with conststent formatted declarations.  This makes it possible
to extract the symbol names with a regular expression...

We could do that...

...but not as part of the build procedure, as:

	1) people might be using older versions of GCC that don't
	   support "-aux-info";

	2) people might not be using GCC at all.

I.e., that'd have to be done manually whenever the plugin interface is
updated.

OK, I will make that part a separate makefile target.
Expect a patch in the next few days.

I think the patch is too large for the mailing list, and therefor I
have made it available at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mmelchio/win32-plugin.diff

Please add the patch mentioned above to ethereal. I already have some
additions to the plugin interface, currently worked around with an
unjustified constant and a memory leak [get_datafile_dir and tvb_free],
and expect to come up with more.

If you think 'gcc -aux-info' is a real problem, please realize this is
the only use of gcc, my win32 builds use nmake and cl for everything
else.  And generating the correct interface files can be done before
creating the release tar, and that will then have satisfied
dependencies and will not cause make to try to use gcc -aux-info and
python.  Just as what happens for the packet-ncp2222.c file :-)

Please consider adding this.

Thanks.

--
Regards,