Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RFC: Possible change in FT_BYTES dfilter syntax

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 22:05:21 -0700

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 9:58 PM, Gilbert Ramirez wrote:

I'm working on some changes to the dfilter code, and would like to have
the scanner create some of the basic types. But floating point 0.7 looks
like a byte-string equivalent to 00:07. In order to disambiguate some
floating point numbers from two-byte byte-strings, I'd like to remove
the option of using a period between bytes in a byte-string.

Is there any situation where it can't be disambiguated in context? I.e., a case where "0.7" appears where it would be a valid expression regardless of whether it's interpreted as a floating-point number or a byte string?

A scheme wherein the scanner did as little work as possible, and the interpretation of tokens was done by, for example, code associated with a given FT_ type, might be more easily extensible.

I'd like to get a feel for how badly this change would affect people. If
breaking this would cause too much hardship, I won't do it. I can work
around the 3 syntaxes for byte strings. I'm contemplating this change
because it makes it easier and cleaner to implement a "contains" test.
I.e., I have the following dfilter syntax working:

http contains "jpg"
frame contains 00:07

The "contains" test works on protocols, strings, and byte-strings (and
derivatives).

So that sounds like a case where 0.7 would have to be a byte string.