Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] updated fakelink dissector + (new) README.fakelink

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 14:44:02 -0700 (PDT)
OK, rather than calling it a fake-link, why not a raw capture. We have precedent from the various raw protocol support on some versions of UNIX (which unfortunately seems to have meant raw-IP).

Secondly, rather than having a 16-bit protocol type, how about a 32-bit protocol type which would allow us to, say map IP-types and port-numbers etc without having to resort to more large tables.

Of, how about having a variable length type with:

  First field being DLT-TYPE
  Second field being a sub-type based on that
  Third field being ...

Thus, a raw IP capture might have header types of:

 0x0006 0x0001 0x0805 <capture-len> <data>
      |      +---------- DLT_EN10MB (ethernet II?)
      +----------------- 6-bytes total type info

Regards
-----