Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] patches to add interface descriptions

From: Richard Urwin <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 21:25:10 +0100

On Sunday 06 Jul 2003 8:13 pm, Nathan Jennings wrote:
> I like this, however... how would GTK handle the text entry fields if
> there were too many interfaces on the machine to fit in the dialog?
> Is the dialog size dynamic? I'm a GTK newbie. :o(
>
> I suppose I err'd on the side of simplicity when I worked on this. I
> thought a description string was simple but still effective and
> ultimately very usable. Given that we have six interfaces on one of
> our machines, I can see where in some installations the capture
> dialog (GUI) might become too cluttered. For instance, if other
> capture features are added in the future, should the dialog scroll?

I like this feature, it would be very useful in a Windows setting, where
all of the interfaces tend to have the same name, but wouldn't it be
better to have a seperate dialog to set the description?

          Interface: [fxp0                                         ] [v]

                           OK                             Cancel

I wouldn't like to see the capture dialog cluttered up like you suggest.

--
Richard Urwin