Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] h245 checked in to CVS but not enabled/cvompiled by default

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 20:40:18 +1000
Thanks to everyone for your interest

First,  H225 and H235 and whatever telco protocol using PER encoding will
come
but first the H245 as well as the PER dissection helper subroutines need to
be completed.
Obviously, H245 is not too useful by itself without the signalling protocols
that can tell ethereal
what is and what is not H245, the others are planned and will come in due
time.

I also have an issue with not being able to compile under Linux since I dont
have and wont use
weird windows compilers.  All my extensions such as the dcerpc interfaces to
ethereal is developed
primarily under linux

I have cheked it in into CVS of ethereal, so to use it you would have to
download
the current CVS version of ethereal   or wait until tomorrow when the next
nightly snapshot is
prepared in the download area.

The dissector is not compiled into ethereal by default   since it is a work
in progress
please see the comment at the start of the file packet-h245.c in the CVS
version of ethereal.
Basically you need to add  packet-h245.c  to Makefile.am   run autogen.sg
configure and make
Then, since H225 is not implemented yet,  you also have to select a packet
you know is h245 and
specify DecodeAs  to tell ethereal that that session is in fact altH245
(alternative H245, until it can
replace the one in the H323 decoder plugin)

Comments, captures that fails to dissect properly, patches, any feedback is
greatly welcome
so that it can improve until it is ready to go live in ethereal and replace
the h245 part of the h323 plugin.
After that it is time for h225 etc.

Do not expect miracles, it will not be ready over night, but given a some
time
or so with tester feedback
it may be ready for real inclusion in ethereal. After that the support
protocols such as h225 will be pretty quick to implement.

Please try it out and verify it agains how the h323 plugin under windows
decodes the packets.
Also please provide any and all feedback on how to make the presentation
prettier, like what needs to go to the Information column in the top list in
ethereal.

thanks for the interest in helping out
    ronnie sahlberg

I named the dissector altH245 so that it would not clash with the plugin.
You would also need to manually edit Makefile.[am|nmake] so that it gets
compiled into ethereal.

There is still a long way to go but given a lot of testing and feedback it
can happen.