Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Support for pure protocol packetswithout underlying protocol

From: Jeff Morriss <morriss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:34:32 -0400

Richard Sharpe wrote:

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Martin Regner wrote:

Jeff Morris wrote:

What he's got now is a PCAP file format where each packet has a "fake link" header on it that specifies the lowest-level protocol. This seems quite flexible to me--although I suppose that the format of the header needs to be stable before the file type is allocated.

Hmmm, I am not sure that we should use fake link headers. Rather, we should define a separate DLT value for packets that come in without lower layer headers.

You mean one DLT value for each protocol?  That seems like a lot.

However, a further issue is that at any future time, people might want to create a capture file of only some higher layer PDUs, like, for example SMB PDUs without any link layer, network layer or transport layer headers. Having a flexible scheme to deal with this would be useful.

By having a "fake link" header that has a "type" (protocol) field you can put any protocol in there. You can even mix protocols: packet 1 is MTP2, packet 2 is SCCP, packet 3 is MTP3, packet 4 is SMB.

Of course, people will have to reserve their fakelink.type's just like people reserve DLT_ values.

I have a similar need to get packets of different higher level protocols dissected by Ethereal. In one capture file I want to have packets with several different high level protocols (H.225, H.245, SIP, MTP3, ...), so I have been thinking of using something similar to Navin's "fake link" dissector. However I also want to have possibilities to store some extra data in some cases - so I have been thinking of having
some kind of Tag/Length/Value scheme for optional data per packet.

I would like to define a DLT-type that allows TLVs or name value pairs as its content, where perhaps one of the TLVs or NVPs contains the data.

Perhaps we could include flags like link-hdr=not-present, next-type=IP, network-hdr=not-present, next-type=tcp, transport-hdr=not-present, next-type=SMB ...

How is that better than just saying:

type=SMB,data="..."?  Why do you need to know what wasn't there above SMB?

Or are you thinking of being able to have IP + SMB but no TCP? (Which seems really complicated to me.)