Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [RFD] Convert man pages to docbook

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 18:41:41 -0700

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 6:03 AM, Brad Hards wrote:

As an intial example of the
quality that we can expect, see the attached docbook source, and generated man page. Note that the content isn't meant to reflect final content - this
is just an indication of formatting quality.

I presume the lack of the description section is a case of "not reflect[ing] final content".

Is the list of values for "-T" generated by running Ethereal or Tethereal or editcap with the appropriate flag (some flavor of "-G", presumably) and massaging the output? If so, note that there's a missing blank line between "o tzsp - Tazmen sniffer protocol" and the next paragraph.

Of course, changing to Docbook implies that whoever does the updates needs to
understand docbook.

Or needs a tool to edit it; the sample had enough tags in it that something more than a pure text editor might be more pleasant to use.

Assuming that I can convert the current documentation over to docbook, how do the developers feel about needing docbook experience and toolchain instead of
POD?

I can probably get the appropriate tools running on some machine at home, and can probably pick up the DocBook knowledge I'd need. I can't speak for the other developers, but most contributions don't affect the man pages; those that do, unfortunately, don't include man page updates - I don't know whether using DocBook would make it more likely that they would, less likely that they would, or make no difference.

I've thought in the past that DocBook would be a good idea; note, though, that the man pages are currently generated using a tool that should, I think, be present on any system with Perl, *and* that they're generated as part of the build process for the regular distribution tarballs; going to DocBook might either require that we ship template man-format man pages and generate the man page from that template, or require people building Ethereal from source, even if they're just compiling a release tarball, to have DocBook tools installed.