Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] patches to add interface descriptions

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 18:09:54 -0700

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 6:01 PM, Nathan Jennings wrote:

Attached are patch files I've created with "cvs diff" against anon cvs
as of yesterday morning. The patches add an optional interfaces description string to the capture preferences dialog. The description string looks like:

eth0(eth0 descr),eth1(eth1 descr),...

So does this add the ability for the *user* to add a description, over and above whatever description the OS supplies, if any?

If so, then perhaps it should default that description to the one the OS supplies, and let the user override that, rather than having two descriptions on OSes where the OS supplies one (currently only Windows, but at some point libpcap might dig up descriptions on some UNIXes) - the OS description is often just a model name, and an explicit user-supplied description might render the OS description unnecessary (not that a model name is all that useful on a multi-homed machine with multiple interfaces of the same type anyway).

That might be simpler than having two description strings for interfaces.