Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] file proto.c: line 1651: should not be reached

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:58:40 +0100
Allan Herriman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ethereal crashes with the message:
> "file proto.c: line 1651: should not be reached" when I try browse
> through the packets in the attached file _pkt0.bin in ethereal version
> 0.9.9 (C) running on Windows 2000 sp2.
>
> _pkt0.bin was created by text2pcap, and represents "line noise" rather
> than any particular protocol.
>
> I don't have the resources to look into this myself, but I thought I had
> better report it to find out if anyone else can recreate the problem.

The problem is in the mdshdr dissector of Ethereal version 0.9.9.

You shouldn't get a crash after upgrading to Ethereal 0.9.11.
I have tried your capture.

You can also inactivate "mdshdr" protocol in 0.9.9 in Edit/Protocols...
(you'll find it almost in the bottom of the list of protcols)
each time you start Ethereal.

The packets in your capture isn't really MDS Header /Fiber Channel
packets but Ethereal will try to dissct them as that due to that
the ethertype is 0.