Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Invalid LAPB Frame for Wellfleet protocol

From: Jeff Foster <jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:24:35 -0600
This is not a LAPB frame. From RFC-1547 -

4.3.5 Wellfleet point-to-point protocol

   The Wellfleet router supports synchronous links using simple HDLC
   framing.  The HDLC framing procedure uses the HDLC address and places
   the Unnumbered Information (UI) command in all frames.  A simple
   header following the UI command provides a two octet type field using
   the same values as Ethernet.

   The Wellfleet protocol does not meet any of our requirements for
   fault detection or option negotiation.  No mechanism for future
   extensibility is currently defined, although one could be added.

I was checking to see if anyone would figure out how to make this decode
properly; I wasn't pointing out that the LAPB deocde was broken. Sorry
if I misguided you.

Jeff Foster
jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx