Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal Runtime error (Win32)

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:29:26 -0800
On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 03:20:34PM -0500, Jason House wrote:
> Inside of epan/packet.c the line "data_source_chunk =
> g_mem_chunk_new("data_source_chunk", sizeof (data_source), 10 * sizeof
> (data_source),G_ALLOC_AND_FREE);" is causing a crash on my computer...
>
> I don't know why this line would cause trouble.

Because something's scribbling over memory?

> Here's the complete call stack:
>
> NTDLL! 77fcb03d()

Probably an NT system call - I suspect it may be allocating more memory.

> MSVCRT! 780010a8()
> MSVCRT! 78001045()

Perhaps 78001045 is "malloc()" and 780010a8 is some internal routine
used by MSVC++'s malloc.

If something allocates memory and writes past the end of the allocated
chunk, it runs the risk of trashing somebody's data structures -
including the data structures used by the memory allocator to keep track
of free memory blocks.

Whether a given memory-overwrite causes a crash in malloc depends on the
memory allocator, so the bug may have different symptoms on other OSes
(or no symptoms at all, if you're unlucky).