Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RFE: Adding graphical "tcp stream" view to ethereal ?

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 18:34:18 +0100
J.Smith wrote:
>Hi.
>
>I was just wondering if it would at all be possible or considered desirable
>to add a graphical tcp stream view to ethereal (perhaps in the "follow tcp
>stream" view), just like some of the examples that are included in W.
>Richard Stephens TCP Illustrated book, or the "TCP trace" option that is
>included in "packetyzer" (which seems to be based on ethereal) ?
>
>[ I added a picture to better show what I am talking about here. ]

Packetyzer (www.packetyzer.com) has that functionality. Maybe something to get inspiration from.
You get a graph like that when you use "Follow TCP Flow..." in Packetyzer.

Packetyzer is a native Windows GUI-application that uses Ethereal capture and dissection library.

Packetyzer doesn't have all features that Ethereal has (yet at least), but Packetyzer has several features that aren't available
in Ethereal (yet at least).

One feature that I think is really, really useful is the "Connection" window.
You can get an overview list of all (TCP/UDP) connections in the capture and easy just filter out one of them
by selecting a row in the Connection table and use the right button menu item etc.

Regards,
 Martin